DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY COLLABORATION
Central Florida public media stations WMFE and WMFV are seeking a creative, collaborative, and inclusive leader to serve as our first-ever Director of Community Collaboration.
This new position will focus on building and nurturing genuine connections between WMFE and the diverse communities it serves, to further the goal of creating and distributing content for and with those communities. We’re building a highly integrated Content Leadership Team to develop and implement strategies for leveraging current, emerging, and future platforms to strengthen our service to existing and potential audiences. The Director of Community Collaboration will serve on that team alongside specialists in News, Digital, and Audio.
Are you excited about working with passionate professionals in an organization that embraces its 40-year history while also embodying the spirit of a startup? If so, we want to meet you!
We know there are qualified candidates who may have relevant skills and experiences that don’t look exactly like what's described here. If that’s you, please don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives.
Who We Are
WMFE and WMFV provide Central Florida with journalism and fact-based content that empower the community to better understand and participate in our diverse and complex world. We serve Central Floridians who seek unbiased, factual, truthful information and nuanced discussion -- people who share a common curiosity and
concern about the complex issues and challenges facing our community, nation, and world. We consider our workforce to be our most important asset, and we value our people both as team members and as individuals.
The stations are operated by Community Communications, Inc., based in Orlando. We are the primary providers of NPR and public media content in Central Florida. We offer a full benefits package including health insurance, 401k, and generous paid time off. We embrace flexibility and offer work from home options for most positions.
The Director of Community Collaboration ensures WMFE is an integral part of Central Florida’s diverse communities --that we are constantly listening to and interacting with those communities and that we are creating and distributing journalism and fact-based content for and with them to address their needs. The Director creates and implements engagement, outreach, and marketing strategies to tell the story of WMFE’s impact in the community.
As part of WMFE’s Content Leadership Team, the Director maintains constant collaboration with the News Director, Digital Director, and Director of Audio Content to create and implement a holistic content strategy for the organization and to ensure all content, including engagement and marketing, upholds the highest standards of quality, editorial integrity and ethics. This position is based in Orlando, Florida; the Director must reside within WMFE/V’s coverage area.
Annual Salary Range: $77,000 - $90,000
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please send an email to with your resume and a letter of interest telling us why you’re a great fit for this position, why WMFE is a great fit for you, and how you heard about the position. Only complete applications will be considered. The position is open until filled, but first review of
applications will take place starting August 8, 2022.
● Strategic Leadership: Develop and implement WMFE’s multi-platform content strategy, in collaboration with other members of the Content Leadership Team and with the community. Work with the station’s senior leadership team as an active participant in strategic planning and decision making for the organization as a whole.
● Community Relationships: Cultivate meaningful relationships and partnerships with organizations, community leaders and residents who are representative of Central Florida’s diverse communities. Lead listening sessions, surveys, and other activities to ascertain community needs and priorities for the purposes of informing WMFE’s journalism and content. Serve as primary staff liaison with WMFE’s Community Advisory Board, strategically recruiting members and ensuring the CAB is fully utilized as an avenue for community listening and outreach. Create avenues for meaningful audience and community feedback, and ensure timely responses as needed. Collaborate with WMFE staff to manage the planning and execution of station events and WMFE’s presence at community events.
● Collaboration: Work with the Content Leadership Team as a cohesive unit to implement content strategy and uphold content standards. Foster an environment of cohesiveness and collaboration across all station departments. Participate in the strategy, planning, and execution of fund drives, in collaboration with development staff. Build successful relationships with industry colleagues to stay informed of trends and best practices in community engagement, DEIB concepts, media, marketing, technology, and audience.
● Telling Our Story: Create and manage systems for tracking and reporting the community impact of WMFE’s content. Work with outside contractors to coordinate marketing, promotional, and media relations strategies that support WMFE initiatives, programming, and community collaboration efforts.
● Editorial Integrity: Joint responsibility, along with the News, Digital, and Audio Directors, for upholding and advocating for the highest standards of editorial integrity.
● Recruitment, Training & Support: Recruit, manage, and support contractors and potential new staff members as the organization grows. Assess the department’s structure and establish effective roles, responsibilities, and workflows.
Qualifications & Skills for Success
● At least 5 years professional experience in community engagement, journalism, marketing, or related field
● Understanding and commitment to principles of ethical journalism and enthusiasm for WMFE’s mission to provide public service journalism to Central Florida
● Advanced collaboration skills and high comfort level working as a team to make decisions and implement strategy
● Experience and high comfort level working with, engaging, and building trust with diverse communities
● Partnership development experience
● In-person and virtual event planning and execution experience
● Familiarity with best practices in marketing and public relations
● Engagement journalism experience preferred
● Connections and familiarity with Central Florida’s diverse communities preferred
● Familiarity with public media preferred
● Familiarity with best practices in graphic design preferred
● Personnel management experience preferred
● Demonstrated ability to articulate and present verbally and in writing
● High degree of independent thinking and self-responsibility
● Self-motivated, outgoing, and ability to meet deadlines and achieve results.
Location and Working Conditions
This position is based in Orlando, Florida, and the Director should reside in the WMFE/WMFV coverage area.
Orlando is a diverse and welcoming city with beautiful parks and neighborhoods, vibrant food, arts, and sports scenes, and a strong sense of community. For outdoor enthusiasts, we’re less than an hour from the beach, and we’re surrounded by beautiful lakes, natural springs, and rivers for kayaking, diving, tubing, hiking, and more. We also have a few theme parks you might’ve heard of! Our average high temperature in January is 72 degrees, and our average high in the summer is only 92. Let us show you why Central Florida is a great place to call home!
Much of this work is done in an indoor location; some outdoor event work will be involved. There may be extended periods of working at a computer.
This position must be available for meetings, trainings, events and operational emergencies outside of normal working hours.
WMFE / Community Communications, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply: Send to an email to with your resume, three references and a letter of interest telling us why you're a great fit for this position, why WMFE is a great fit for you, and how you heard about the position.
To be able to apply for jobs on CFEC site, Register as a Job Seeker.