Product Design Engineer
Department: Product Development.
FLSA Stauts: Exempt
Salary Grade: 620
Education: 4 yr degree.
Degree Requirement: BS Mechanical Engineering-Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: 0 to 3 years.
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Other CAD (Solid Edge preferred). Advanced.
Level of Knowledge (Intermediate).
Candidate will be expected to
1) Design, develop, and test all aspects of mechanical components and systems using wire rod, sheet metal, plastics, laminate, rubber wood and other materials as required;
2) Apply a working knowledge of engineering principles (Form, Fit and Function) to design products for consumer use, specifically storage and organization products for any room in the home or office;
3) Be familiar with Design for Six Sigma, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), and Design for Manufacturing;
4) Apply knowledge of engineering principles to design products using manufacturing processes such as resistance welding, injection molding, CNC machining and sheet metal fabrication; and
5) Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals for a variety of complicated tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Education & Experience Requirements
1) Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent from an ABET accredited university or college
2) 0 – 3 years of experience
Position Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
1) Participates in varied engineering assignments requiring some evaluation, ingenuity and responsibility. The ability to multitask on many projects, both in a support role to others and as a project champion is required.
2) Upon generating or being given performance criteria, the Mechanical Engineer will evaluate existing manufacturing capabilities, consider new technologies, and formulate design concepts to meet the criteria.
3) Confers with Design Engineering staff concerning new or existing product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods.
4) Confers with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate product release to meet target production schedules.
5) Develops, recommends, and documents changes in product. May be required to implement changes that have been recommended.
6) Prepares proposals and cost estimates for new product designs.
7) Travel as required. Travel is not expected to require more than 10% of time.
8) Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
9) Ability to work in a team environment & maintain regular attendance.
10) Required to be able to work around model shop equipment, testing machines, and manufacturing equipment while following all safety procedures.
Responsible for ensuring that specified quality standards are met for all tasks completed.
Apply: Qualified candidates should send their cover letter and resume to with the job title listed in the SUBJECT line – mention CFEC.org job posting.