Job Fair Tips For Job Seekers
Career Fairs are an excellent way to meet, network, and interview with multiple recruiters in a short period of time. Fairs can land you jobs, enhance your search, and improve your interviewing skills.
Difficulty Level: Average
Time Required: 1-2 hours minimum
- Dress professionally - wear a suit, handle this as you would a regular interview.
- Wear comfortable shoes - lines are frequently long and you should expect to wait.
- Resumes - bring a supply of resumes to hand out to the companies.
- Take a portfolio/briefcase to hold resumes and corporate literature.
- Prepare a "one minute commercial" - Think about your strong points, your goals, and the company.
- Be prepared to discuss where you want to work geographically.
- Be prepared to discuss what you like doing, what you’re looking for in a job, what your most relevant skills are.
- Arrive early - plan on extra time for checking in.
- Network - while you are waiting in line, talk to others.
- Be assertive and show initiative - shake hands and introduce yourself to recruiters when you reach the table.
- Be enthusiastic.
- There will be many applicants approaching employers at the same time you are so don't be overwhelmed.
- Keep a positive attitude and concentrate on the benefits of the experience.
- Indulge your curiosity - talk to companies you normally wouldn't be interested in.
For one-on-one employment assistance contact our Employment and Resource Center by calling 407-834-4022.